For my CV as a DOWNLOADABLE Word document, CLICK HERE.
Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Pittsburgh 1988 Dissertation: “The Practical Given” (advisor, Kurt Baier; 2nd reader, David Gauthier) M.A. in Philosophy, University of Pittsburgh 1986 B.A. in Philosophy with honors, University of Notre Dame 1982
Sexton Professor of Philosophy, Claremont McKenna College 2007-present
Fagothey Distinguished Visitor, Santa Clara University Spring 2007
Co-coordinator, Program in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics 2006-present
Professor, Claremont McKenna College 2006-present Professor, Pomona College 2002-2006
Associate Professor, Pomona College 1994-2002
Invited Visitor, University of Pittsburgh Spring 1998
Visiting Associate Professor, University of Arizona Fall 1994
Assistant Professor, Pomona College 1988-1994
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION AND CONCENTRATION
Specialization: Ethics, Metaethics
Concentration: Political Philosophy, Business Ethics, Philosophy of Law
FELLOWSHIPS AND GRANTS
Research Fellowship, Murphy Institute Center for Ethics, Tulane University, 2016-17
KLI Course Development Grant 2013
Freshman Humanities Seminar Course Development Grant 2009
Fagothey Distinguished Visitor, Santa Clara University 2007
Summer Research Grants, Claremont McKenna College 2006-08
Wig Course Preparation Grant (with Eleanor Brown) 2000
Templeton Foundation Grant (with Eleanor Brown) 1999
Summer Research Grant, Irvine Foundation 1996
Steele Foundation Sabbatical Subvention Grant 1993
Teaching Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh 1983-87 Mellon
Fellowship, Mellon Foundation 1982-83
HONORS AND AWARDS
Glenn R. Huntoon Teaching Award, Claremont McKenna College 2016
David Huntoon Senior Teaching Award, Claremont McKenna College 2015
Roy P. Crocker Award for Merit, Claremont McKenna College 2011
Wig Distinguished Teaching Award, Pomona College 2005
Wig Distinguished Teaching Award, Pomona College 1999
Wig Distinguished Teaching Award, Pomona College 1992
Douglass Greenlee Prize, Society for the Advancement of
American Philosophy 1987
First Prize, John Dewey Essays Project 1987
Apple for the Teacher Award, University of Pittsburgh 1987
Phi Beta Kappa, University of Notre Dame 1982
Beyond Consequentialism (Oxford: Oxford University Press, hardback, October, 2009; paperback, December, 2011); ISBN 978-0-19-955930-5. Selected reviews: Rahul Kumar, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 2012.01.07; Robert Myers, Ethics 121 (January 2011): 444-49; Alan Thomas, The Philosophical Quarterly (2015); Andrews Reath, Utilitas 24 (December 2012): 554-57; Julia Driver, The Journal of Moral Philosophy 10 (2013): 570-72.
History of Philosophy (New York: Harper Collins, 1993) Co-authored with William Taschek, Hugh Benson, Dion Scott-Kakures, and Susan Castagnetto. Sole author of chapters on Hobbes, Locke’s Political Theory, Rousseau, Hume’s Moral Theory, Kant’s Moral Theory, Utilitarianism, Marx, and American Pragmatism.
JOURNAL ARTICLES, BOOK CHAPTERS, AND ENCYCLOPEDIA ENTRIES
- “New Consequentialism and the New Doing-Allowing Distinction,” in Consequentialism: New directions, new problems? Christian Seidel. (Oxford: Oxford University Press), Ch. 9, forthcoming 2018.
- “Why Consequentialism’s ‘Compelling Idea’ Is Not,” Social Theory and Practice, Vol. 43 (2017), pp. 29-54.
- “Two Senses of Moral Verdict and Moral Overridingness,” Oxford Studies in Normative Ethics Vol 6, Marc Timmons ed. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2016), pp. 215-240.
- “Whose Problem is Non-Identity?” co-authored with Rivka Weinberg, The Journal of Moral Philosophy, online publication April, 2014.
- “Comments on Douglas Portmore’s Commonsense Consequentialism,” Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Vol. LXXXVIII No. 1, January (2014), pp. 225-232.
- “Consequentializing and Deontologizing: Clogging the Consequentialist Vacuum,” Oxford Studies in Normative Ethics Vol. 3, Mark Timmons ed. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013), pp. 123-153.
- “Deontology,” International Encyclopedia of Ethics, (Wiley-Blackwell, February, 2013).
- “Paradox of Deontology” International Encyclopedia of Ethics, (Wiley-Blackwell, February, 2013).
- “Desire, Judgment, and Reason: Exploring the Path Not Taken,” The Journal of Ethics, Volume 11, Number 4 December (2007), pp. 437-463.
- “Does Consequentialism Make Too Many Demands, or None at All?” Ehics, Volume 116, Number 4, July (2006), pp. 680-706.
- “Fairness and Beneficence,” Ethics, Volume 113, No. 4, July (2003), pp. 841-864.
- “A Davidsonian Reconciliation of Internalism, Objectivity, and the Belief-desire Theory,” The Journal of Ethics, Vol. 6, No. 1 (2002), pp. 1-20.
- “A Kantian Rationale for Desire-based Justification,” Philosophers’ Imprint, Vol. 1, No. 2 (2001), pp. 1-16. http://www.philosophersimprint.org/
- “Sellars’s Ethics: Variations on Kantian Themes,” Philosophical Studies, Vol. 101 (2000), pp. 291-324.
- “Agent-centered Restrictions: Clearing the Air of Paradox,” Ethics, Vol. 107, October (1997), pp. 120-146.
- “Getting Our Options Clear: A Closer Look at Agent-centered Options,” Philosophical Studies, Vol. 78 (1995), pp. 163-188.
- “Scheffler’s Argument For Deontology,” The Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 74, June (1993), pp. 118-134.
- “The Hidden Consequentialist Assumption,” Analysis, Vol. 52, October (1992), pp. 241-248.
- “How Weakness of the Will is Possible,” Mind, Vol. 101, No. 401, January (1992), pp. 85-88.
- “The Many Appetites of Thomas Hobbes,” History of Philosophy Quarterly, Vol. 7 (1990), pp. 391-407.
- “Where the Traditional Accounts of Practical Reason Go Wrong” Logos, Vol. 10 (1989), pp. 157-166.
- “Dewey on Desires: The Lost Argument,” Transactions of the Peirce Society, Vol. 24 (1988), pp. 509-519. Reprinted in John Dewey: Critical Assessments, J. E. Tiles (ed.) (Routledge, 1992), pp. 91-99.
BOOK REVIEWS, DICTIONARY ENTRIES, ETC.
- “Meeting Students Where They Are,” Philosophers in the Classroom, ed. A Bradner (Indianapolis: Hackett, forthcoming 2019)
- “Review. Philip Pettit: The Robust Demands of the Good,” Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, January, 2016.
- “Demandingness” [p. 252] and “Paradox of Deontology” [pp. 756-7] entries in The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, 3rd Edition, Robert Audi (ed.), (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015)2)
- “Review. David Wiggins: Ethics: Twelve Lectures on the Philosophy of Morality,” Mind, 2014: 970-75.
- “Review: Douglas Portmore: Commonsense Consequentialism,” Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, July, 2012.
- “Review: Michael Thompson: Life and Action,” Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, 2009, http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=15445.
- “Review: R. Jay Wallace: Normativity and the Will,” co-authored with Dion Scott-Kakures, Mind (2008), pp. 744-750.
- “W.T. Jones,” entry in The Dictionary of Modern American Philosophers, 1860-1960 (Thoemmes Press, 2005).
- Review of David Miller’s Principles of Social Justice, Ethics, Vol. 112 January (2002), pp. 391-394.
- Review of Jenny Teichman’s Social Ethics, Ethics, Vol. 108, No. 4, July (1998), p. 850.
- “John Dewey,” chapter in Great Thinkers of the Western World (New York: Harper and Row, 1992).
EDITED VOLUMES Guest Editor, Pacific Division Issue, Philosophical Studies (2010).
IN PROGRESS OR UNDER SUBMISSION
- “Consequentialism and the Standard Story of Action,” under submission.
- “Exiting the Consequentialist Circle: Two Senses of Bringing It About,” under submission.
- “Resolving the Paradox of Passion,” in progress.
- “Anscombe on Practical Soundness,” proposal solicited for inclusion in Anscombe, Aquinas, and Aristotle on Practical Truth, eds. J. Frey and C. Frey (volume currently under consideration with OUP)
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS
- “Tensions within the Market Model,” PPE Society Meetings, March, 2017.
- “Consequentialism and the Standard Story of Action,” Philosophy Colloquium, Florida State University, November, 2016.
- Interlocutor for Stephen Darwall’s Lindner Lecture, College of Wooster, October, 2016.
- “Consequentialism and the Standard Story of Action,” Murphy Institute Colloquium, Tulane University, September, 2016, and Dartmouth Ethics Workshop, April, 2016.
- “A Proposal for Reframing the Moral Overridingness Debate,” Arizona Workshop in Normative Ethics, January 2015
- “Consequentialism and the Deep Doing-Allowing Distinction,” University of Erlangen, September 2013 Critic, Author Meets Critics Session on Douglas Portmore’s Commonsense Consequentialism, APA Pacific Division Meetings, March 2013
- “Two Dogmas of Consequentialism,” University of Notre Dame, March 2013
- “Consequentializing and Deontologizing, Clogging the Consequentialist Vacuum,” University of Arizona, January 2012
- “Author’s Response,” Author Meets Critics Session on Beyond Consequentialism, Southern California Philosophy Conference, November 2010
- “Rights, Value, and the Nature of Desire,” Sontag Lecture, Pomona College, April 2010 Critic, Author Meets Critics Session on Michael Thompson’s Life and Action, APA Central Meetings, February 2010
- “What Lurks Beneath the Integrity Objection,”? Presented at the Northwestern Conference in Ethical Theory and Political Philosophy, April 2009
- “What Lurks Beneath the Integrity Objection,” Presented to the Georgetown University Philosophy Department, October 2008
- “Deflating the Challenge of Consequentialism,” Presented to the Santa Clara Philosophy Department, May 2007
- “What Lurks Beneath the Integrity Objection,” Presented to the Santa Clara Philosophy Department, April 2007
- “Deflating the Challenge of Consequentialism,” Departmental Colloquium, UC Riverside, March 2007
- “What Lurks Beneath the Integrity Objection,” Dept. Colloquium, Ohio University, January 2007
- “What Lurks Beneath the Integrity Objection,” Department Colloquium, UC Irvine, October 2006
- Critic, Author Meets Critics Session on J. Gert’s Brute Rationality, APA Pacific Meetings, April 2006
- Commentator, Oberlin Colloquium and UC Riverside Trust Conference, March 2004
- “Does Consequentialism Make Too Many Demands, or None at All?,” Department Colloquium, University of New Mexico, February 2004
- “Does Consequentialism Make Too Many Demands, or None at All?,” invited paper, Southern California Philosophy Conference, UC Riverside, October 2003
- “Quinn, Raz, and Scanlon on Desire, Judgment and Reason,” Departmental Colloquium, UC Santa Barbara, April 2002
- “Quinn, Raz, and Scanlon on Desire, Judgment, and Justification,” Department Colloquium, University of Michigan, October 2001
- “Towards a Solution to the Moral Problem?” APA Pacific Division Meetings, Albuquerque, N.M., April 2000
- “Korsgaard on Desire-based Justification,” Philosophy Department Colloquium, University of Notre Dame, September 1999
- “Agent-centered Restrictions: Clearing the Air of Paradox,” Philosophy Department Colloquium, University of California at Irvine, Fall 1996
- “Agent-centered Restrictions: Clearing the Air of Paradox,” Philosophy Department Colloquium, University of Arizona, November 1995
- “Scheffler’s Argument for Deontology,” APA Pacific Meetings, March 1993
- “Consequentialism Deontologized, Deontology Consequentialized,” Occidental College Philosophy Colloquium, November 1991
- “Davidson on Incontinent Actions,” APA Pacific Meetings, March 1990
- “Davidson on Incontinent Actions,” Cal Tech Discussion Group, November 1990
- “Against the Argument Against Ethical Objectivity,” University of Southern California Ethics Discussion Group, September 1989
- “Where the Traditional Accounts of Practical Reason Go Wrong,” conference on Reason and Moral Judgment, Santa Clara University, April 1989
- Dewey on Desires: The Lost Argument,” meetings of the Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, March 1988
SELECTED OTHER PRESENTATIONS
- Invited Lecture, “Textualism and Originalism,” Constitutional Law Class, Brown University, November, 2016.
- Invited Lecture, 2010 Class Reunion, CMC, May 2015
- Model United Nations Conference, CMC, “Is International Law Really Law?” April 2015
- “Markets and Morality,” One Day University, Phoenix, February 2015
- Alumni Weekend Panelist (April), “Freedom;” MUN speaker (April), “Nationalism;” 5th year reunion speaker, May 2014
- “Happiness;” LA Alumni Chapter Talk (June), “Democracy and Collective Action.” Fall-Summer 2014
- “Adam Smith’s Dirty Little Secret: The Curiously Intimate Relationship Between Markets and Morality,” CMC Athenaeum talk, October 2011
- “Happiness, Well-Being, and the Meaning of Life,” Pasadena Senior Curriculum, May 2010.
- “Markets and Morals: From Adam Smith to Warren Buffett,” Pasadena Senior Curriculum, May 2010
- “Happiness, Well-Being, and the Meaning of Life,” One Day University. Los Angeles and San Francisco, December 2009
- “Markets and Morals,” public lecture, Ohio University, January 2007
- “Trust Betrayed,” Alumni Symposium Plenary Address, April 2003
- “The Philosophy of Parenting,” Class Day Address, Pomona College Commencement Weekend, May 2000
- “Corporate Responsibility,” Claremont Sunrise Rotary, Fall 2000
- “Corporate Responsibility,” Psychology Department Colloquium, Claremont Graduate University, October 1996
- “CEO as Strongman,” Claremont Rotary Club, Pomona Lunchtime Lecture series, and elsewhere, 1990-92
SERVICE TO THE PROFESSION SINCE TENURE
- Outside Evaluator for Tenure and Promotion to Full Professor 2006, 200, 2008 (2 cases), 2009 (2 cases), 2010 (2 cases), 2011, 2012 (2 cases), 2013 (3 cases), 2014 (3 cases), 2016, 2017.
- Carleton College External Review Committee 2011
- Review Board, Encyclopedia of Ethics 2010-2012
- U. of Delaware External Review Committee, Chair 2010
- Chair, Hampton Prize Selection Committee 2008
- Chair, APA Pacific Division Program Committee 2008-2009
- Pacific Division Executive Committee 2008-2009
- APA Pacific Program Committee 2006-2009
- External Evaluator, Creighton University Philosophy Department April 2006
- External Evaluator, Santa Clara University Philosophy Department 2004
- Scripps College Philosophy Search Committee 2002-03
- External Evaluator, Philosophy Department, Cal State Los Angeles 1999
- Human Resources Masters Program Advisory Committee, Claremont Graduate University 1996-02
- Ad hoc reviewer, Ethics, Philosophical Studies, The Journal of Ethics, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Nous, The Pacific Philosophical
- Quarterly, Philosophers’ Imprint, The Canadian Journal of Philosophy, Utilitas, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, American Philosophical
- Quarterly, The Journal of Moral Philosophy, The Journal of Social Philosophy, Inquiry, and Oxford University Press.
- Member, Program Committee, APA Pacific Division Meetings 1994-1997
- Session Chair, APA Pacific/Eastern Meetings 1994-1997, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005
- Member, American Philosophical Association.
RECENT COLLEGE SERVICE
- Member, Dean of Faculty Search Committee 2014-2015
- Member, Personal and Social Responsibility Subcommittee 2014
- Member, CMC Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee 2013-2015
- Chair, PPE Endowed Chair Search Committee 2013-2014
- Chair, Inauguration Planning Committee 2013
- Member, Presidential Search Committee 2012-2013
- Chair, CMC Administration Committee 2010-2012
- Chair, Search Committee, CMC Phil. Dept. 2010-2011
- Academic Affairs Subcommittee, CMC Board of Trustees 2008-2013
- CMC Faculty-Trustee Retreat 2007-2010
- Philosophy Program Coordinator Spring 2009
- FIS Committee Member 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Co-coordinator, Program in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, CMC 2006-2014
- Chair, Search Committee, CMC 2006-2007
- Chair, Philosophy Department, Pomona 1994-98, 2002-2006
- Co-director, Philosophy, Politics and Economics Program, Pomona 1988-2006
- Pomona College Executive Committee 2005-2006
- Pomona College Budget Planning Committee 2005-2006
- Pomona College Size of the College Task Force 2005-2006
- Nominations Subcommittee, Pomona Board of Trustees, 2003-2005.
- Philosophy Dept. Search Committee (chair) 2003-04
- Pomona Student Union Advisory Committee 2004-2006
- Presidential Inauguration Committee 2003
- Pomona College Orientation Committee 2000-01
- Philosophy Department Search Committee, chair 1999 and 2000
- Faculty Personnel Committee 1996-99
- Rhodes/Marshall Scholarship Committee, chair 1995-96